Is there a stronger personal brand in rock ‘n’ roll than Bono? Here are five personal branding lessons you can learn from U2′s legendary lead singer.
1. Have A Memorable Name – Bono is way more memorable than Paul Hewson. Bono is a name that makes you pay attention and forces you to wonder what it means. Do you have a name people remember? Does your business have a name that opens the door for more conversation?
2. Do What You’re Great At, And Drop Everything Else - When the U2 started out, Bono played guitar. Except, as he admits, he couldn’t play very well. Bono discovered his calling wasn’t playing guitar, but singing and writing songs. To make your personal brand rock, you need to be open to the idea that you’re true calling might not be what you think it is. Discover what you do exceptionally well, and quit doing everything else that you are mediocre at. Doing things you aren’t exceptional at is a waste of your time and energy.
3. Find Cool People To Work With – For Bono, that has meant working with Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash, Green Day, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Willie Nelson, Ray Charles, and many others. Your personal brand is heavily influenced by the company you keep. Find exciting and dynamic partners to help move your ideas forward. Use these people to challenge your ways of thinking and open your mind to new ideas.
4. Go Outside Your Comfort Zone - Bono has personally invested in Forbes Media Grojup in the US and the Clarence Hotel in Dublin. He’s also a 1.5% shareholder in Facebook, with his investment valued at more than 500 million British Pounds. Strong personal brands aren’t confined to their own little world. They spread their ideas around and get involved in projects that capture their interest.
5. Do Good Work – More than any other rock star, Bono has worked tirelessly on behalf of social issues. His humanitarian work is legendary, doing exceptional work for AIDS research, Amnesty International, and world hunger. Rock stars of all walks of life give back. Find causes close to your heart, and work hard on their behalf. Leverage your success in their favor.
Do you have a copy of Brand Like A Rock Star yet? Order one now and have it delivered right to your home or office, or download the Kindle version in mere seconds.