I have a confession to make…
I’m not the world’s biggest KISS fan. That title might go to my good friend and noted KISS marketing veteran Michael Brandvold. Click on his name and you can grab a free copy of his ebook The KISS School of Marketing.
But I am a fan of KISS. I enjoy their music, but I particularly love the band because they have been so good at branding themselves and marketing their act.
Gene Simmons is as much a marketer as he is a musician.
Here are five things Gene Simmons totally gets about marketing that most businesses never fully grasp:
1. It is okay to offend people, even large numbers of people. In fact, it is wise to do so.
2. Offending large numbers of people nearly always clarifies your brand and endears you even more to the segment of the population that loves you.
3. Getting noticed is more important than anything else. If you never get noticed, you’ll never be a rock star. Get people to pay attention and then focus on being great at what you do.
4. Always put your name on everything you do. The KISS logo is on every imaginable piece of merchandise, from condoms to coffee shops. And the show Gene Simmons Family Jewels is never promoted or mentioned without his name attached to it.
5. Failure rocks. It is an integral part of success. Not everything you do will strike gold, so do a lot of things. When something sticks, it will stick big time.
Since it is Father’s Day this weekend, Gene also has a few thoughts on that topic:
“Be thankful. The next tie you get, the million-and-oneth-tie… that one? Just smile. The intention is good. We don’t need things anyway. And your straight, so stop pretending you know anything about fabric.”
If you are in LA for Father’s Day, you can buy a ticket to the Father’s Day bash at Gene’s new restaurant, Rock & Brews in El Segundo.
By the way, Gene Simmons was kind enough to endorse Brand Like A Rock Star. I’m thankful for that. You can download the Kindle version or have the paperback home delivered here.
And if you are hesitant to spend $5.99 on the book, download Chapter One for free first and get yourself hooked. It is available as a pdf by clicking here and it could not be more FREE. Chapter One deals with AC/DC and their legendary consistency. You’ll want to use that same consistent approach to building your rock star business.